Thursday 5 January 2012

Still with the knitting……

Julie Says:

Well, I finally finished Jamie’s socks.  For everyone who doesn’t know, they were the last pair in a long line of Christmas socks.  I have knit way too many socks lately.  So, of course, the first project I start after all those socks… more socks! I couldn’t help it.  I found some really nice yarn, by Kraemer Yarns, its a cotton/acrylic/nylon fingering weight yarn, in a nice brown and a cream color. Anyway, it just looked like a pair of socks.  They are taking a long time, this is the first pair of socks I have knit with actual sock yarn and teeny tiny needles. 

socks1(very dark pic of socks in progress from my blackberry)

In the mean time, I had finished Jamie’s socks yesterday, and started a hat.  I let him pick the pattern on www.ravelry.com.  It is a top down pattern, and looks like it will be a nice hat, but is currently a big tangled mess on the needles.  To start with I didn’t have a circular needle in the right size so I am using 4 DPN’s, which barely hold the stitches.  They are bursting at the ends. 

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/quest-for-a-man

imageThis is a pic of the hat from the pattern… I will post mine when I finish it… lets see if they look the same! See link above to get the pattern for free from Ravelry.com.

I can’t help but think, when I am starting a new pattern (which I hardly ever use, by the way) that knitting with a pattern is a lot like getting a new set of Lego.  You have a complicated bunch of instructions that have you building bits of things that you don’t know yet how will fit together, but blindly build anyway, until eventually the whole thing starts to look like something.  But with knitting, you don’t get all your pieces in pre-sorted baggies… you get a couple pairs of chopsticks and a ball of string and have to make your own. 

I guess this is why I knit so many socks, I don’t need a pattern for socks!

No comments:

Post a Comment